Watch Daddy Lau teach us how to make siu mai! Also known as shu mai, this is a classic dim sum dish that’s really easy to make at home!
RECIPE + INGREDIENTS
Check out our blog for an adjustable list of ingredients and step-by-step videos:
SUPPORT OUR CHANNEL
If you enjoy these videos and want to support us being able to continue creating content for many years to come, we’d love for you to consider becoming a patron of Made With Lau.
CONNECT WITH US
COOKWARE WE USE/LOVE
– Electric Burner: https://geni.us/electricburner
– Non-Stick Wok: https://geni.us/nonstickwok
– Carbon Steel Wok: https://geni.us/carbonsteelwok
– Non-Stick Pan: https://shrsl.com/305jb
– Carbon Steel Pan: https://shrsl.com/305j9
– Stainless Steel Skillet: https://shrsl.com/305j8
– Cookware Set: https://shrsl.com/305j7
– 8 Quart Pot: https://shrsl.com/305j6
– Cookware Collections: https://shrsl.com/305j5
– Pan Protector: https://shrsl.com/305j0
– Carbon Steel Seasoning Wax: https://shrsl.com/305iz
KNIVES WE USE/LOVE
– Dad’s 40 year old Chinese Chef Knife: https://geni.us/dadschefknife, https://geni.us/Vtjn
– Chef Knife: https://shrsl.com/305is
– Santoku Knife: https://shrsl.com/305iu
– Starter Knife Set: https://shrsl.com/305iw
– Sharpening Stone Set: https://shrsl.com/305iy
KITCHEN ACCESSORIES WE USE/LOVE
– Magnetic Knife Strip (storage): https://shrsl.com/305j3
– Cutting Board: https://shrsl.com/305j2
– Instant Read Thermometer #1: https://geni.us/bluetooththermometer
– Instant Read Thermometer #2: https://geni.us/wirelessthermometer
– Food Scale: https://geni.us/ourfoodscale
DAD’S SPECIAL INGREDIENTS
If you don’t live near an Asian market, you buy these online / on Amazon:
– Sesame Oil: https://geni.us/kkmsesameoil
– Soy Sauce: https://geni.us/kkmsoysauce
– Tamari (Dark Soy Sauce substitute): https://geni.us/kkmtamari
– Rice Cooking Wine: https://geni.us/ZHJK
– Oyster Sauce: https://geni.us/kkmoystersauce
– Vegetarian Oyster Sauce: https://geni.us/kkmoystersauceveg
– Chili Oil: https://geni.us/DX1vm
– Hoisin Sauce: https://geni.us/lmBz0
– Chicken Bouillon: https://geni.us/2Eu7CU
– Shaoxing Cooking Wine: https://geni.us/M93Zer
Options for Vegetarian Oyster Sauce
Options for Gluten Free Oyster Sauce
MY CAMERA GEAR!
– My Workhorse Camera: https://geni.us/DAeHJ
– My Lens for Wide Shots: https://geni.us/cLfu64x
– My Lens for Detail Shots: https://geni.us/9aDaf5
– My Macro Lens: https://geni.us/bzn6Vy
– My Main Light: https://geni.us/ZK5XVe
– My Light Softbox: https://geni.us/PmOs8FK
– My Camera Slider: https://geni.us/BUd8
Note: These links are affiliate links, which means that if you use our links to purchase these ingredients, our family earns a small amount for the sale – at no extra cost to you. If you use these links, we really appreciate the support!
⏲ CHAPTERS ⏲
00:00 – Intro
00:52 – Siu Mai’s Story!
01:30 – Prepare pork
03:24 – Why is pork red?
04:09 – Prepare shrimp
05:20 – Prepare mushrooms, carrots
06:51 – Create marinade
07:33 – Mix meat, marinate overnight
08:43 – Wrap siu mai dumplings
11:44 – Steam siu mai
12:44 – Meal time!
13:35 – Reliving my parents’ first year in America
14:31 – How do you choose the best siu mai wrappers?
16:20 – How to prevent wrappers from drying?
16:35 – How to prevent wrappers from getting soggy?
17:22 – How to batch cook and freeze siu mai?
19:10 – How to stuff the siu mai perfectly?
19:30 – Kat & Randy’s siu mai wrapping contest!
Learn more about the Lau family, and why we started this channel + blog:
Intro Flute Music – Performed by Daddy Lau
Copyright Chillhop Music – https://chll.to/49e6fa9c
Copyright Chillhop Music – https://chll.to/4ca8cc15
Overhead Camera Rig built by P.Oak – https://www.instagram.com/p.oak.co/