Christmas is right around the corner. No need to pull out the pastelle press because we’re making Beef Pastelle Pie! This one’s a special request by Chef Jason who will say ‘see you later’ to the Foodie Nation fam soon. He’ll make a few more recipes with us before his farewell though, so stay tuned because they’re GOOD:
Yield: 15 (3 Oz) Portions
For the Filling:
2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
3 Tbsp Minced Onions
1 Tbsp Minced Garlic
2 Tsp Pimento Pepper/Jalapeños, minced
1 Lb Minced Beef, or Chicken, Pork, Lamb
3 Tbsp Minced Chives/Scallions
1 Tsp Fresh Thymes Leaves, minced
3 Tbsp Tomato Paste
2 Tbsp Bar B Que Sauce
1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
¼ Cup Chopped Olives
Salt/Black Pepper to taste
For the Pastelle:
3 Cups Milk
3 Cups Water
3 Oz Butter, melted
2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
1½ Tsp Salt
1 Tsp Black Pepper
1 Tsp Garlic Powder
3 Cups Cornmeal Flour
¾ Cup Cheddar Cheese
1. Place a medium sized skillet over high heat and add the vegetable oil. Sauté the minced onions, garlic and pimentos for 2 minutes. Add the minced meat, chives and thyme leaves and cook until meat turns a slight grey and become grainy in pot, about 5 minutes.
2. Reduce heat to medium and add the tomato paste, bar b que sauce and soy sauce. Stir to combine and place in the olives.
3. Cook covered for 8 minutes then remove lid and let simmer additionally for 5 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper to taste and remove from heat. Set aside.
4. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
5. Grease lightly a 12 x 9 inch baking dish with Vegetable Oil.
6. To make the pastelle dough, place a medium sauce pan on medium heat and add all the ingredients for the dough except the cornmeal flour and cheese. Bring mixture to a light simmer where small bubbles break the surface of the liquids then slowly whisk in the cornmeal flour into the warm liquids.
7. Reduce heat to low then switch over to a rubber spatula as mixture becomes thicker and continue folding and mixing for a further minute. Remove pan from heat.
8. When still pliable, divide the dough in half and place half of it into the greased tray and press out until it covers the surface to about ¼ inch thick.
9. Place the minced beef filling atop the layer of cornmeal dough evenly then gently press out the remaining cornmeal dough over the minced beef to cover it and encase.
10. Sprinkle cheese over the top layer and place in the oven to bake for 45 – 50 minutes.
11. Let cool for 10 – 15 minutes before cutting and serving.
Beef Pastelle Episode: https://youtu.be/HaEJf0_qB88
Kezzianne’s jewellery was provided by https://www.instagram.com/uncommon.lily/
More How To’s: https://goo.gl/m8EdBY
Kezzianne Miller: @kezzidoeseat
Chef Jason Peru: @chefjasonperu
Subscribe to Foodie Nation: https://goo.gl/wg373X
Connect with Foodie Nation on:
For business enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
Beach Party – Islandesque by Kevin MacLeod is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence. https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/
#KhansPoultryandMeats #PastellePie #TriniChristmas