Go to https://NordVPN.com/madewithlau to get a 2-year plan at a huge discount plus 4 months free. It’s risk free with Nord’s 30 day money-back guarantee!
Learn how a VPN works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCWNRzoQGis
Watch Daddy Lau teach us how to make Lo Mai Gai. I can personally vouch that my dad’s recipe is absolutely AMAZING!
RECIPE + INGREDIENTS
Check out our blog for an adjustable list of ingredients and step-by-step videos:
SUPPORT OUR CHANNEL
If you enjoy these videos and want to support us being able to continue creating content for many years to come, we’d love for you to consider becoming a patron of Made With Lau.
CONNECT WITH US
COOKWARE WE USE/LOVE
– Electric Burner: https://geni.us/electricburner
– Non-Stick Wok: https://geni.us/nonstickwok
– Carbon Steel Wok: https://geni.us/carbonsteelwok
– Non-Stick Pan: https://shrsl.com/305jb
– Carbon Steel Pan: https://shrsl.com/305j9
– Stainless Steel Skillet: https://shrsl.com/305j8
– Cookware Set: https://shrsl.com/305j7
– 8 Quart Pot: https://shrsl.com/305j6
– Cookware Collections: https://shrsl.com/305j5
– Pan Protector: https://shrsl.com/305j0
– Carbon Steel Seasoning Wax: https://shrsl.com/305iz
KNIVES WE USE/LOVE
– Dad’s 40 year old Chinese Chef Knife: https://geni.us/dadschefknife, https://geni.us/Vtjn
– Chef Knife: https://shrsl.com/305is
– Santoku Knife: https://shrsl.com/305iu
– Starter Knife Set: https://shrsl.com/305iw
– Sharpening Stone Set: https://shrsl.com/305iy
KITCHEN ACCESSORIES WE USE/LOVE
– Magnetic Knife Strip (storage): https://shrsl.com/305j3
– Cutting Board: https://shrsl.com/305j2
– Instant Read Thermometer #1: https://geni.us/bluetooththermometer
– Instant Read Thermometer #2: https://geni.us/wirelessthermometer
– Food Scale: https://geni.us/ourfoodscale
DAD’S SPECIAL INGREDIENTS
– Tamari: https://amzn.to/3B2S2MF
– Gluten-free Tamari: https://amzn.to/3j2hLyn
– Sesame Oil: https://amzn.to/3gjHIrp
– Oyster Sauce: https://amzn.to/3D3JDtZ
– Soy Sauce: https://amzn.to/3B1xT9J
If you don’t live near an Asian market, you buy these online / on Amazon:
– Chinese Sausage / Lap Cheung: https://geni.us/kdKvxv1
– Dried Shiitake Mushrooms: https://geni.us/LyXBR
– Dried Lotus Leaves: https://amzn.to/3y0TaOD
– Salted Egg Yolk: https://amzn.to/2IHnMko
Note: These links are affiliate links, which means that if you use our links to purchase these ingredients, our family earns a small amount for the sale – at no extra cost to you. If you use these links, we really appreciate the support!
Our Joong recipe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snYWPdP4ZxE
Our Char Siu recipe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkCoAKTbHpQ
⏲ CHAPTERS ⏲
00:00 – Intro
01:02 – What’s the backstory on Lo Mai Gai?
01:55 – Prepare & cook rice
03:07 – Boil eggs
03:39 – Background on Lotus Leaves
04:50 – Soak lotus leaves
05:34 – Prepare chicken
07:32 – Cut other ingredients
09:36 – Thank you NordVPN!
11:49 – Stir fry chicken, shallots, mushrooms
13:04 – Add sauce elements & mix
15:13 – Peel eggs & cut yolks
15:28 – Create rice sauce & mix with rice
16:46 – Wrap lo mai gai with lotus leaves
21:26 – Steam lo mai gai & serve!
22:55 – Meal Time!
23:17 – What’s the difference between lo mai gai & joong / zongzi?
23:42 – Are there different versions of lo mai gai?
24:24 – How do you make this vegetarian?
25:01 – How long can you store these for?
25:17 – Questions about freezing, defrosting, cooking
25:50 – Using white rice instead of glutinous rice?
26:17 – How do you prevent the rice sticking to the leaf?
26:41 – Lo mai gai or Zongzi?
Learn more about the Lau family, and why we started this channel + blog:
Produced by Randy Lau, Grace Phan
Edited by Randy Lau, Willard Chan
Chinese Subtitles by Arlene Chiu, Gan Ying Zhi
Intro Flute Music – Performed by Daddy Lau
Copyright Chillhop Music – https://chll.to/49e6fa9c
Copyright Chillhop Music – https://chll.to/4ca8cc15
Overhead Camera Rig built by P.Oak – https://www.instagram.com/p.oak.co/